Monday, February 12

Howard To Be Censured Over Obama Comments?

Australia's Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd said PM John Howard should be censured over his comments about Barack Obama.

Labor's censure motion refers to Mr Howard's “false statement” that his comments were directed only at Senator Obama and criticises Mr Howard for damaging the Australia-US alliance.

It also accuses Mr Howard of “gross insensitivity” for lecturing the United States on Iraq when the war has claimed the lives of more than 3,000 US servicemen and women.
I'm not big on trying to censure him, but I do like the way Sen. Obama responded to Howard.
“I think it's flattering that one of George Bush's allies on the other side of the world started attacking me the day after I announced (my candidacy),” Senator Obama said.

“I would also note that we have close to 140,000 troops in Iraq and my understanding is Mr Howard has deployed 1400.

“So if he is ... to fight the good fight in Iraq, I would suggest that he calls up another 20,000 Australians and sends them to Iraq, otherwise it's just a bunch of empty rhetoric.”
Put it differently, Mr. Howard needs to put up, or shut up!