Sunday, September 9

Dog Fighting Is Not The Same As Hunting!

There has been plenty said about Michael Vick, so I won't waste my time with him, but recently another athlete has come out and compared dog fighting to hunting. Terrell Owens said

(Dallasnews.com)"When I mentioned cultural thing, [it's] just like when people go out and they hunt deer," he said. "They hunt deer and they cut their heads off and they go to mount them on the wall. And they are animals as well. I don't see a big difference in the situation.
He went on to say that he doesn't think dog fighting should be accepted, but his comparison is flawed and here is why.

First of all, are there people who hunt for trophies? Of course, and maybe there is an argument against those people. However, a lot of hunters will eat what they kill or donate it to shelters or missions for the homeless. And frankly speaking, until I give up red meat, I really have no place to criticize them.

Another aspect of dog fighting that proves that it is different from hunting is the term "rape stand". I have never heard the term "rape stand" used when talking with people who hunt. For those who haven't heard the term "rape stand", it refers to a device that allows aggressive dogs to mate without resulting in the the death of one of the dogs.

Ignorance, rather than culture, is what leads to this type of activity.