Thursday, September 21

Wal-Mart To Roll Out New Generic Drug Plan

I'd be one of the first in line to blast Wal-Mart if the opportunity arouse, and there have been plenty, but I don't think I will be doing that with the latest announcement from Wal-Mart.

(Reuters)Wal-Mart Stores Inc. on Thursday said it would slash prices on nearly 300 generic prescription drugs to $4 starting in the Tampa, Florida, area and plans to expand the plan to all of Florida in January.
Maybe if the pharmaceutical industry was a 'ma & pa' thing I would have a problem, but since it isn't, I'm not as concerned. Hypocritical? A little. But if there was ever an industry that could use a little competition, this would be it. Wal-Mart might be the only retailer that could go head to head with the pharmaceutical industry, which will certainly lobby for some new law preventing this. Now, if only Wal-Mart would make their employee sell 'ALL" legal drugs that people come in for!